Posted by Trakstar • May 26, 2023 • 6 min read
Rater fatigue can be a significant problem when conducting effective performance evaluations. Why? Managers and people leaders provide feedback regularly, and it can sometimes feel like they need to be more communicative. At the same time, employees may need more real-time feedback – it’s a tricky line to walk.
If you know this problem all too well, you aren’t alone. It’s common for raters to feel overwhelmed or disengaged after reviewing multiple employee evaluations. It can get so extreme that some Human Resources leaders may even question the reliability of performance reviews for those managers who have larger teams.
But you need performance management, so how can you monitor the fatigue scale while still getting the data you need?
At Trakstar, we know performance management and how an organization operates – we deal with some of those same problems and get the same feedback from our leaders. So what do we do? Here are some tips we use.
Ensure raters have realistic expectations regarding the evaluation process. Communicate expectations for the number of evaluations and deadlines, providing clear instructions and guidelines to streamline the process.
Talk to every team member before reviews to see how they feel in real-time. Ensure they understand the survey questions, know how to talk to respondents of 360-review requests, and ask about their pain points. If you’ve made significant changes to your performance review process, be sure they understand it, and so does their direct report.
In each of these interactions, set realistic expectations for reviews. This will help to reduce fatigue and keep your leadership happy.
Provide raters with training and support to conduct effective evaluations. Ensure they have access to resources such as training modules, coaching, and examples of effective evaluations.
This may mean taking leadership or manager training, teaching about access to tools they have, going through a test of the process before they go through it with employees, and ensuring they know how to talk to a direct report, particularly one that has performance issues.
Simplify the evaluation process to make it easier for raters to complete evaluations. Consider using a streamlined rating system, focusing on essential competencies, and providing clear instructions.
While we may think that limiting reviewers is the way to go here, it isn’t! Survey fatigue is real for your employees, but answering a 360-degree survey about their teammates can help them feel like their feedback is heard and appreciated. The response rate to requests for 360-degree reviews is usually good. Respondents have great insights for leaders that can help eliminate rater fatigue.
Consider rotating raters to prevent rater fatigue. By rotating raters, you can distribute the workload more evenly, ensuring that no one rater is responsible for too many evaluations.
If you notice that respondents to specific review requests or specific participants need to give more answers, it may be time to rotate raters. It could also be a sign that you can make significant changes to your performance review process, perhaps by implementing a 360 feedback process where you get responses from other people within your organization.
Within Trakstar Perform, there is enhanced functionality for 360-degree reviewers, allowing them to answer a specific question or questions about someone’s performance, job description, contributions, or personality. Users can solicit feedback from a direct report, supervisor, team member, or even an external rater. For example, patients, participants, a contract team member, or another rater.
Provide incentives and recognition to raters for completing evaluations. Consider offering bonuses, gift cards, or recognition programs to incentivize raters to complete evaluations thoroughly and accurately.
Something as simple as a shoutout in a company-wide email, on a Slack or Teams channel, or during an end-of-the-year awards ceremony will help leaders feel like they are being recognized for the work they do. Work that, whether we want it to or not, can feel like it is “extra” to their core role.
Managing rater fatigue is crucial for conducting effective performance evaluations. By setting realistic expectations, providing training and support, simplifying the evaluation process, rotating raters, and providing incentives and recognition, you can create a more engaging, efficient, and effective evaluation process.
Trakstar is a cutting-edge performance management software designed to simplify and optimize the entire performance review process. By leveraging Trakstar’s powerful features, you can reduce rater fatigue and transform performance management into a seamless and efficient experience.
1. Simplified Evaluation Process: Trakstar offers an intuitive and user-friendly interface that makes it easy for managers and employees to navigate through the evaluation process. The platform guides users step-by-step, ensuring consistency and eliminating confusion.
2. Automated Reminders and Notifications: Trakstar takes the burden of tracking deadlines and sending reminders off your shoulders. Automated reminders and notifications keep everyone on track, ensuring timely completion of evaluations and reducing the risk of delays.
3. Efficient Feedback Exchange: Trakstar facilitates seamless communication and feedback exchange between managers and employees. The platform enables real-time feedback, making it easier to address performance concerns, recognize achievements, and foster ongoing development.
4. Customizable Evaluation Forms: With Trakstar, you have the flexibility to create evaluation forms that align with your organization’s unique goals and performance indicators. Tailor the forms to capture the specific skills, competencies, and behaviors relevant to each role, ensuring accurate and meaningful assessments.
5. Performance Analytics and Reporting: Trakstar provides powerful analytics and reporting features that offer valuable insights into individual and team performance. Access comprehensive data and metrics to identify trends, strengths, and areas for improvement, empowering you to make data-driven decisions.
6. Ongoing Performance Tracking: Trakstar goes beyond the annual performance review. It allows you to track and monitor performance throughout the year, enabling continuous feedback, coaching, and goal-setting. This proactive approach drives employee engagement and helps address issues in a timely manner.
7. Integration and Scalability: Trakstar seamlessly integrates with other HR systems, making it a versatile solution for organizations of all sizes. Whether you have a small team or a global workforce, Trakstar can scale to meet your needs and support your performance management goals.
Don’t let rater fatigue hinder your performance management efforts any longer. Embrace Trakstar and revolutionize your performance review process. With its user-friendly interface, automated features, and comprehensive analytics, Trakstar empowers you to conduct efficient, accurate, and meaningful performance reviews that drive employee growth and organizational success.
Unleash the full potential of your performance reviews with Trakstar!
Don't Miss Out on More Great HR Articles!
Subscribe to get the latest, greatest HR and Talent Development content straight to your inbox.